Thursday, October 11, 2012

Storming the Bastille

ok maybe "flailing my way up" would be more accurate. The Bastille is a local climb known for it's steepness. It even got the famous Bernard Hinault off of his bike, but that was after a long stage in which he had a spectacular crash. I have ridden up it a few times: once mildly drunk at night with a buddy on MTBs, and then more recently when I met up with some local expats who promptly spat me out the back. The first ramp is almost comically steep... and then it gets worse. By the end, even 15% grades are a welcome respite from the serious parts. But somehow I did not remember this when I was deciding where to go for my lunchtime ride. I guess time dulls my memory of extreme pain, but it came back very quickly. The steepest parts make it hard to even keep the front wheel on the ground, and standing up is more or less out of the question. Some photos:








painful, but a pretty unique and cool climb

No comments:

life in Grenoble, France as an expat postdoc
life in Grenoble, France as an expat scientist
life in San Francisco, CA as a biotech nerd life in Grenoble, France as an expat scientist

Blog Archive

Popular Posts