Monday, January 17, 2005

OOOF

I've had a little writers block recently, which is a little silly considering that this a BLOG after all. anyway, last week, I treated myself to some nice oysters, and a day later was sick for a day and a half. I'm actually very picky about my oysters, and inspect and sniff them scrupulously. I usually buy more than I think I'll eat specifically because I always end up throwing one or two of them away. Anyway, I found out that there is in fact another way to get sick off oysters besides eating spoiled oysters, and that is Norwalk Virus (as a funny aside, I could hear my moms heart stop from across the planet when Chloe told her that it was a virus). You can distinguish between plain old food poisoning and Norwalk by the time of onset. In my case, I ate them on tuesday night, and got sick about 40 hours later, about an hour after climbing in the gym. I had been feeling crappy all day, but that afternoon I asked chloe to drive me home because I felt awful. Anyway, because I love you, the reader so much, I'll spare you the details about how I was crapping water and simultaneously puking into a bucket, but suffice it to say that it wasn't pretty. I stayed at home on friday, and by saturday morning I was basically healthy again, but white as a sheet and a few pounds lighter.

norwalk virus comes from raw sewage dumped overboard by fishermen who deserve to be kicked in the groin for a week while being force fed infected oysters. Oysters are filter feeders which concentrate the virus from the excrement into handy bite sized packages for innocent oyster lovers such as myself. From now on I'm going to pay close attention to the provenance of the oysters. even so, no more oysters for a while.

No comments:

life in Grenoble, France as an expat postdoc
life in Grenoble, France as an expat scientist
life in San Francisco, CA as a biotech nerd life in Grenoble, France as an expat scientist

Blog Archive

Popular Posts