Saturday, June 06, 2009

Big Island

After our abortive Oahu trip a few weeks ago, we made it to the plane with plenty of time. Zoe was actually a pretty good traveler, and after a short layover on Oahu, we landed at Kona. Car rental and finding the condo were easy, and after a short rest, we had an early dinner at Teshima, which was excellent. Kenji's sashimi plate, while lacking variety, was fabulous. I'm not a big fan of maguro usually, but this was better than most hamachi I have tasted. Also, my tempura was so good that I didn't have even a trace of fried food guilt. Zoe really enjoyed the locally produced tofu with ginger and onions.


Back at the condo, I noticed that the landscapers had used Natal Plums as ground cover. To my embarrassment, in my many years at the Salk, I walked by tons of those things without ever tasting them. This time, I selected a ripe looking fruit and bit into it, despite the fact that it was exuding a disturbing white latex of some kind. The verdict? Kind of tasty, but not fantastic.

No comments:

life in Grenoble, France as an expat postdoc
life in Grenoble, France as an expat scientist
life in San Francisco, CA as a biotech nerd life in Grenoble, France as an expat scientist

Blog Archive

Popular Posts