Monday, May 11, 2009

alta

We drove up to Alta from Sacto for the day and met Paul + family for a barbecue: blue cheese burgers, corn and sausages. We *finally* planted the fuji apple tree that had been sitting around in my parents front yard getting root bound for the past three months. Hopefully it will survive! I hand toted ~25 gallons of water from the river up to the apple tree's new home, so here's hoping it's not grafted onto super thirsty rootstock. I also set up a few grafts which are very very unlikely to work. I had been saving scion wood from the CFRG exchange back in January. Normally, I think you're only supposed to keep them around for a few months, so there is a good possibility that they are dead! The "rootstock" (i.e. what I was grafting onto) was a wild cherry tree, which was also quite a long way away from being dormant, so it will be interesting to see if any grafts take. I'm told grafting plums are pretty stupid-proof, but I wonder if they can be THIS stupid proof? Grafts completed:


Santa Rosa
Satsuma
Golden Nectar
Elephant heart (x2)
Inca
Beauty

rock and roll!

No comments:

life in Grenoble, France as an expat postdoc
life in Grenoble, France as an expat scientist
life in San Francisco, CA as a biotech nerd life in Grenoble, France as an expat scientist

Blog Archive

Popular Posts