Thursday, December 30, 2004

mini whitehouse

Today was the last day of an unproductive work week for me: I was trying to get some data together for a paper we're writing next month, but was unmotivated. I did figure out what the problem was with a structure that wasn't refining well today, but that was about it! I also have framed three photos. I've completely given up on the idea of cutting the mats myself. It's just not worth saving an extra 10 euros per photo when the framing shop will sell me perfectly cut custom mats.

After work, Chloe and I walked up through to the bastille

Where there was snow on the ramparts

and a beautiful sunset over the Chamchaude

the Belledonne

Grenoble

and the Vercors.

Later that day we went to a FANTASTIC framing store called L'eclat de Verre. While I was picking out mat colors, Chloe got waylaid by the manager. I was a little surprised to find her still missing by the time I got back to the counter, but the manager told me that she was upstairs. What was upstairs? Well as it turns out, Pierre-Yves is a fanatical model builder, and wanted us to see his giant room full of models


including Versailles, the Orangerie, etc etc. However, in a special place of honor on the landing was this:

yeah thats right: the Whitehouse. With a silver prom limousine out front, a Little Bird attack helicopter and a fully camouflaged presidential Seahawk (with a big presidential seal on the sied: isn't that a bit counterproductive to the camo?) parked on the roof. There is of course an associated web site which, Pierre-Yves was quick to point out, has no membership fees!

No comments:

life in Grenoble, France as an expat postdoc
life in Grenoble, France as an expat scientist
life in San Francisco, CA as a biotech nerd life in Grenoble, France as an expat scientist

Blog Archive

Popular Posts