Monday, December 27, 2004

Alinea

Today, after much prodding I convinced Chloe to go to a store called Alinea, which I had heard a lot about but somehow never ventured out to. In the past couple of weeks there were at least four occasions when I would mention that I was looking for something and someone would say: "Oh they have those for really cheap at Alinea". So today we drove to St. Egreve, and (I was at least) were blown away. I was expecting a kind of Le Ikea, but it was so much more. Most of the furniture was of pretty high quality, and their lighting department was amazing. Instead of having a large section of floor dedicated to say "beds", they have little three walled setups to simulate what a room would look like with a bed, and a perfectly chosen dresser, lamp, footstool, desk etc. It made both of us yearn for a place of our own where we could buy a nice bed that doesnt break our backs, track halogen lighting, and a bookcase! But we were there to find frames for the twenty or so 16x20 cibachromes I brought back from Berkeley. Except for a metal bathroom rack, a pyrex measuring cup and a fancy ergonomic oyster knife, we stayed mostly on track. I found some decent light oak frames with pre-cut mats; the only problem is that many of my cibachromes have white borders, so I'll still have to cut mats for some of them. Now I just need to enlist the sage advice of my dad on tricks for archival framing.
Here is chloe, red handed in the glass section

No comments:

life in Grenoble, France as an expat postdoc
life in Grenoble, France as an expat scientist
life in San Francisco, CA as a biotech nerd life in Grenoble, France as an expat scientist

Blog Archive

Popular Posts