Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ramen

A friend of mine bought me the much anticipated Momofuku cookbook, which is pretty fantastic. I miss good ramen and sushi sometimes, and have not been bold enough to try the offerings here in Grenoble. It was therefore very sciting to see not just a recipe for ramen broth and condiments, but for ramen noodles themselves! I have not yet been able to find all of the raw materials for the full recipes, but my initial attempt at a bare bones ramen (making my own broth and noodles) turned out very well. My plan is to slowly accumulate the reagents and eventually go for the full bore I-can't-believe-we're-not-in-Japan version. I did version two this weekend, spending around seven hours making the broth on Saturday, and then assembling the ramen on Sunday. In between, I made Onsen tamago (slow poached eggs), ramen noodles, roasted bones for stock, simmered stock bones, simmered chicken parts, simmered kombu and simmered carrots and onions. I did a lot of simmering. The end result was tasty though, and well worth the effort.
Kombu:

Noodles before cutting

Valençay to fuel the cook

final product

No comments:

life in Grenoble, France as an expat postdoc
life in Grenoble, France as an expat scientist
life in San Francisco, CA as a biotech nerd life in Grenoble, France as an expat scientist

Blog Archive

Popular Posts